Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Opinion about Antivirus Software

Nowadays many of us has computer at home. A lot of friends are seeking my opinion about the antivirus software. What I can say here is either desktop or laptop; if your computer does not have firewall, antivirus, mail-ware, spyware and adware meanings your computer totally do not have any protection against all type of viruses.

In my history, I have use Norton Internet Suite, McAfee, E-Scan Internet Suite and Zone Alarm. All the mentioned software has their own pro and cons but so far the E-Scan and Zone Alarm are the best antivirus software that I experienced them before. Why I say so? Below are the details.

I have one bad experience encountered with Norton some time back. It can actually detect my computer was attacked by “memory virus” but then it failed to clean that virus. I’ve no choice, so I called up to their technical support. But the answer to me is that Norton software that I installed is unable to clean the memory virus and if I wanted to clean that virus I’ve to pay USD 59 for the cleaning services. I was so frustrated! Start from that day, I know that Norton cannot fulfill my requirement so I switched to McAfee.

For McAfee, what I faced is, it can detect as well as to identity what virus has been attacked to my computer but again this antivirus software also has poor cleaning services. It is like “a good weapon without bullet”. So I decided not to use it too! Then I changed to E-scan.

For E-scan, I strongly recommended my friends to try installed it. This company gives 1 month free trial period. It is user-friendly and also strongly detects all kind of viruses but then sometime it will skip some adware or spyware scanning. They have a good technical support that able to help us up via telephone but what disappointed me is that the person in charged of attending my emails is different from the technical person. So ended up I’ve to re-explained what I’m facing all the way through. E-scan required 1 license per computer. And it cost USD58.95 per license. It is kind of costly to me because I’ve to purchase 3 licenses for my 3 computers. So, I stop using it and lastly I’ve change to Zone Alarm.

Now come to the world best defense software called Zone Alarm Internet Security. This company has very good firewall system. It will let you choose your expert level to setup the virus and firewall protection. Even you are a computer idiot, you also be able to protect your computer against virus and spyware. Not only protect the entire virus but also MSN or chatting software. Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite actually helps prevent malicious software from infecting your computer with multiple layers of protection. Again, this software is unable to detect some adware. In order to have a wide coverage protection to my computer, I bought other adware tools to combine with Zone Alarm so that I can get a full set of protection. Zone Alarm allows 1 month trial before purchase. And the price is reasonable, about USD 49.95 for 3 licenses. I feel satisfy with Zone Alarm because it can fulfill my requirements in terms of protection, cost and technical support.

I personally not agree to purchase pirated antivirus software because some pirated software they might have some hidden virus inside. When we install that software, the virus will start to hide inside our computer. Please take note.

Well, antivirus software companies keep launching new products to market and for sure it is with more advance features and protection. Whatever I wrote on top is my personal overview. Yet, you have your own choice which one to go for! If you come across any good one, please share with me.

1 comment:

amycheah said...

I also feel Zone Alarm is okay wo.